Saint George in the cave was there from the years of Ottoman rule. The Turks believed in the miracles of St. George and therefore kept the Temple and they even cherished it. When they left in 1923 they did not destroyedit and asked the residents to maintain it. There is a story that there are still heard chantings. The Icon of St. George in the cave was formed in the 1980s following the earlier establishment and attracts many visitors.