The Church of St. John the Baptist in Lefkopigi has an imposing bell tower 15 meters high, work of 1916. The bell tower suffered considerable damage during the earthquake in 1995 and was later restored. The church was built in 1848-1865 and still bears the inscription of the owner, Chamzar Resit Bey. Built in, behind the sanctuary there is an inscription “For the patriarch Eugene and architect Konstantinos Athanasiou subsidised Zantzotis 1865.” In the temple there are images with inscriptions of donors in the year 1866. The most recent is in the women’s loft of the Assumption of Virgin Mary at the expense of the women’s club 10/04/1945.
Lefkopigi is a village in the municipality of Kozani, Kozani Regional Unity. It is located 10km southwest of Kozani at the foothills of Bourinos. Former settlement as testified by findings of two prehistoric forts. In ancient times the region was known for its healthy environment and Asclepius and Hygeia were worshiped. During the Ottoman Empire it was called Velisti. At first, it fell into the hands of Ali Pasha and served as a manor and then as manor of different beys like Champsa Bey Aliompei, Bektas Bey Bey Zeir, Rosu and Haidar Bey Bey.
In the village square, the great plane tree is an important symbol of the area. In Lefkopigi great cultural activity is exhibited by the local Cultural Association. Also, the contribution of historic sports club Alexander Lefkopigi is very important.
The Lazarines is a purely Easter, women’s custom with ancient roots that gets life in Lefkopigi every year and deserves to attend. All the girls, from infancy until the age of marriage, are able to be dressed Lazarines. The Lazarines also thought to bring health to every home. Usually assembled in a specific house (Konak) and thence groups (Blic) started to visit the houses in neighbourhoods. They visited all the houses of the community, sang improvised songs which fit in the desire, pain or longing of each family. The songs were sang without the accompaniment of musical instruments and no man took part, at all.