Western Macedonia is adorned with a multitude of churches: Byzantine, post-Byzantine and other periods in a crowd of monasteries, fortified monasteries, chapels, illustrated with wonderful pictures of Byzantine art, unparalleled woodwork and carvings, where people refer with prayers to God and express their faith.
During the history of our country, clerics, monks and simple people, by applying the Gospel, produced culture that transcends time limits of terrestrial life, expressed through its numerous places of worship beginning in the 5th century and reaching our days.
The Holy Metropolis of Servia and Kozani, diocese until 1882, was promoted to Metropolis and came under the Ecumenical Patriarchate to join the Church of Greece in the Synodical volume of 1928. The building of Episkopio in Kozani was built in 1744 and a year later the seat of the diocese was transferred in Kozani. Today the historic Bishopric, after restoration, is one of the most beautiful buildings in Kozani and is classified as a preserved archaeological site. It is considered a jewel for the city of Kozani since its blurred and particular characteristics emerge after extensive unmaking made.
Historical documents of great value are hosted by the Public Library of Kozani, which was founded in 1688 and is considered a historic library not only in Greece but in the Balkans as well. Some of them are, 257 Byzantine manuscripts – Post-Byzantine and foreign, Greek and Ottoman documents, Greek and foreign literature, Turkish decrees, codes, maps (with the important ‘Charter of Riga Fereou “) versions of Enlightenment scholars and versions of other schorals of Western Macedonia.
Metropolis Sisanion and Siatistis, based in Siatista, confirms its age with the discovery of the episcopal church in Sisani which, according to archaeologists, was built in the early 11th or 12th century. The transfer took place in the thriving metropolis Siatista in the late 17th century. Liturgical books and utensils, vestments and relics are exhibited in the Museum of Ecclesiastical Metropolis Sisanion and Siatistis. Also, many old books and several books of Enlightenment (18th century) including Siatistian authors (Thomas Demetriou, George Zaviras Michael Papageorgiou, etc.) are in the Manousia Public Library in Siatista, the core of which is the donated to the library by Theodoros Manousis, a scholar from Siatista, the first professor of history at the university of Athens in the 19th century.
The Holy Metropolis of Florina, Prespa and Eordaia is based in Florina and was first mentioned in 1943 as Holy Metropolis of Florina, Almopia and Eordaia. In 1967 it was renamed as Holy Metropolis of Florina, Prespa and Eordaia.
In our days, which are characterized by technological dependence, the monotonous lifestyle and multiple social problems, the contact and communication of the visitor with the religious monuments, is considered a proposal for quality of life. It is the fulfillment of human thirst to strengthen himself during tests, to be inspired and heartened by discovering the lost paths of his soul.
The preserved cultural heritage of authentic people, holy places, religious places of artistic and monumental value in conjunction with the unexplored natural beauty hidden in stunning clusters of green mountains which are crossed by rivers and are embellished by lakes, make West Macedonia a significant tourist destination.